Thursday, January 20, 2011

On the Boat

Undoubtedly the boat ride will always be a highlight for the kosher kiwi, pictured here basking in the warm sun and cool breeze on this most sacred of all lakes.

Seriously, I found it to be profoundly moving. It just makes the gospel accounts and Jesus so much more three-dimensional. He's not just words on a page, even a nice crispy page in a volume that has "Holy" in the title. He's not just a character in a story, even though he's an amazing character in an astonishing story. He was here. Right here. And right there. And he walked on stuff that physics tells us shouldn't be walked on. And he created stuff that didn't exist a millisecond before. And he said to the 5000, "I hope you like fish cause falaffel isn't on the menu for many years yet."

So why am I crying, except that Jesus, just up the hill from here, said "blessed are the pure in spirit for they shall see God..." Because they did. Right in front of them. Peter's great realization was that he was qualitatively different from Jesus. "Depart from me lord, for I am a sinful man. I'm not and will never be properly poor in spirit, and yet you want to befriend me?" I guess that same greatest discovery in my own life hit me again but in an entirely different way so that I'm not sure I can, or even want to, try to translate it into words. Some things are meant to be just experienced, not elucidated. I hope this isn't the onset of the Jerusalem Syndrome.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment