Monday, January 17, 2011

New to Newark


Cheapest flights I could find were on Frontier. Their slogan, painted on the engine, is "a whole different animal." Sounds a more appropriate description for a terrifying roller coaster ride. But I studied Bible, not marketing. That's New York City right behind the plane. Strange, everyone said it was a huge city.

In my sleep-deprived ramblings, I was, perhaps, a bit hard on Newark. Guess there's some renewal going on. The Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, where I'm staying, has an impressive history. Albert Einstein was here, as was President Woodrow Wilson. Is greatness catchy?

On the other side of the ledger, the Maize restaurant downstairs was used in the filming of "The Sopranos,"which is not a female gospel singing group but a series about the modern day Mob. I think I'll just stay in my room and eat my Planters Nuts, Seeds, and Raisins.

Pondering what little I know about Newark, some little-used neurons fired and I remember now that Bishop John Spong was also based in Newark and preached against the virgin birth, at which point lightning hit the church spire and it caught fire. The things we tuck away for a snowy day. . .
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment