Sunday, December 12, 2010

Blizzard in Stoughton; Cloudy in Jerusalem


"Toto, I've a feeling we're
not in Kansas anymore."
 Had to cancel church this morning. Held on till the last minute in hopes that we could make it work, but winter got the better of us. Meanwhile, in Jerusalem, it's 52 degrees and cloudy. I thought I'd take advantage of my snowed-in Sunday to check out Google Maps and get a feel for what my Israel itinerary will be. Sure, when I was a Moody Bible Institute 30 years ago, I took Dr Goddard's "Historical Geography" class, which we renamed "Hysterical Coloring" due to the multitude of maps we had to produce with colored pencils. But, as I look at Israel on Google Maps, I realise my scant sense of Israeli space and place, though I've been talking about both for years.

Vivid 30-year-old memory: Dr Goddard spoke about what happened right after that famous statement from Joshua in chapter 10, "be strong and courageous." Immediately Joshua has five Amorite kings hanged. Dr Goddard: "Some people have a problem with that. They think Joshua was unfair. I don't understand why. Each king got his own tree."

No comments:

Post a Comment